Friday, October 4, 2013

Baker's Dozen Quilt


The second border on the blocks made a much bigger difference than I expected - and to think, I almost skipped this step.

 
Here's a rough layout - so I could see how all the blocks were going to look together:
 
 
And, here is what it looks like with all the connecting blocks. I was pleased at how quickly the connecting blocks went together - but then after the other blocks, nearly anything would seem easy:
 
I probably say this about every quilt I get to this point but this is totally stunning. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to sell this one.

Twinkle, Stink-le?

A few days ago, I posted some pictures for a Christmas ornament I found in one the McCall's magazine. It looked so easy. But maybe I'm just not a "crafter" because if this is what crafting is all about, you can count me out. I have a much greater appreciation for people who craft all year and sell what they've done at craft fairs - this has been a humbling experience.
 
AND, because I am who I am, there will be 10 Christmas star ornaments (maybe not until Valentine's day but there you have it). So far, I've gotten all of 10 sewn, turned and clipped. Here are the two that are almost done - still have to add a ribbon so they can hang on a tree.
 
Everyday, I learn something about myself :)

Daring Greatly

Myth #1: Vulnerability is weakness.
 
In this chapter, Brene' defines vulnerability as the "birthplace" of emotions. I grew up watching Star Trek (the original one) and decided I could be just like Spock - with a little practice. So much of my surroundings and memories were painful, the notion of not feeling truly appealed to me.
 
So that's what I did, for years, events came and went and I either denied my emotional reaction until it went away or I refused to put a label on my reaction so it never really existed. When I met Michael; from the moment I heard his voice on the phone; I felt something; a flutter in my stomach and an ache in my mind for something I'd never had. I definitely had bought into this Myth that emotions are a sign of weakness but I didn't care if everyone knew I felt something for Michael (even if it took me forever to figure out what I was feeling).
 
And now, reading through this section knowing I've let things stand between us, I realize I've reverted back to old, familiar territory - if I don't feel anything or talk about how I feel, it will go away and my life will be under my control again. But the consequence of this old approach is no longer acceptable - not feeling means not living, not engaging.
 
And then there is Quilt Magic - which I put out into the world without any concern if no one liked (or bought) my quilts. I love the process and am always blown away by the results and that was - and still is - enough. I am very proud to have my quilts out there.
 
The difference between being totally vulnerable with my quilts and completely disengaging with Michael is exhausting and not acceptable. This change to living Wholeheartedly will be easier because I have such a great example of how I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment