Friday, October 18, 2013

Basics Class #1

I decided to use some of the money I received from the Mother's Love quilts to take a quilting class. I know, you all thought I was a trained professional, didn't you? But alas, the way I make quilts is self taught and I want to learn some more tricks so I signed up for a class at The Quilt Loft.

My main goal right now is to create quilts that are more precise - I would like my squares to come out to the size the pattern says they are and for them to actually be square. I was warned that the instructor of this class wasn't "all about" precision but the prospect of learning how to do things a different way was enough for me to sign up.

Last night was the first class and I feel like I've already learned new things that will help make my quilts more accurate and make the process quicker and more fun - totally a good idea.

We spent a lot of time talking and doing exercises that have to do with picking out material that has enough contracts to make the quilt attractive. I was struck by my deep need for monochrome pallets. I like it when all the colors of something - a quilt, clothes, room décor - are all from the same color, just different values. Quilts are more interesting when there is not only contract but also different colors. I'm going to be working on this on my own for a while before I get more comfortable with picking out material. What a sacrifice, to spend time in a fabric shop picking out material :)

Then we learned how to strip cut. I'd come up with my method all on my own a couple years ago. When I watched a video by Fons and Porter, I realized my method might be the reason my squares are never really square. Now that I've seen the right method and practiced a little, there is HOPE. I can see how my way was causing my strips to be slightly warped. And, when you multiply slightly by lots of blocks, you get wonky.

I took some material with me that I've had for years and never known quite what to do with it. It is a pretty monochrome pallet but now, I have additional pieces that will totally pump up the volume on this quilt. Can't wait to cut into it!

This is the fabric I took with me. The piece in the front is what I used for my "focus" piece.

 
And here are the other pieces that will make the quilt:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment