Thursday, October 31, 2013

Basic Quilting Class #1

Homework is finally done - not that there was so much or it was difficult, I just got way too distracted by the Log Cabin block. I pulled bits and pieces from my stash and made a dozen or so blocks. You only need 1.5 inch strips so I decided to just keep making these blocks out of scrap from quilts I'm working on until there are enough blocks to make a quilt -a scrappy quilt :)

The other blocks are great for practicing. One of the techniques we learned in class helps cut down on the waste - you draw a line through the square and sew a scant 1/4" seam on either side so you end up with two half triangle squares. This means the square has very small seams - which caused trouble for my sewing machine. Although I get the need to cut down on waste, I think I'll pass on this one in the future.

Another technique we learned was to make 2-for-1 half triangle squares. You mark down the diagonal (like always) and them mark 1/2 inch from the original line - on the side that is going to be trimmed off. You end up with all these lovely little half triangle squares just itching to go into the design of the quilt (or travel off to the scrap squad for them to use).

Here's what I came up with:

No comments:

Post a Comment