Tuesday, December 10, 2013

I know! I haven't posted anything in quite a while, have I? It doesn't mean I 'm not quilting, I just haven't taken the time to let you know what I'm up to. So, here's what's happening:

Kaleidoscope Quilt

We decided to add a couple borders to the chevron pieced top to make this one large enough for a lap quilt - instead of going the original direction and making placemats with the material. The top is now done:



I had to do a little piecing to make the back big enough but was able to use most of the material the customer gave me to work with.

Yesterday, I dropped it off at The Quilt Loft so the Long-arm quilter can do the quilting. The thread is a variegated dark blue and black and the quilt design is Scribbles - just an over all kind of pattern. It probably won't be back from the Long-arm until after the new year so won't be ready for Christmas but not long after that.

Basic Class #1

Our last class was the week of Thanksgiving. I really learned a lot and appreciate how much the instructor put into all the directions, samples and how easy she was to understand.

I didn't exactly follow the pattern - big surprise, huh (not). So there are a few blocks I did for class that aren't in the final quilt top. I used the focus fabric for the main border - which really pulled everything together well.

 
And, I used the left over material to make the back. I'll take it down to The Quilt Loft for quilting after the first of the year (or as soon as I get a job, which ever comes first).

Other Projects

I haven't heard from the customer for the Wedding Guest quilt. It is ready to go to the Long-arm. She has three small children and I just imagine, this time of year is a little busy so we might not get together for the next step until after the first.

The customer for the Wedding Patchwork quilt and I have been trading ideas for her quilt. I haven't started cutting the material yet but hope to get that going this week. There isn't really a pattern to go by since the material is quite random - in size, color and texture. So I think the best thing to do is just start and make adjustments as we go. I suspect nearly every block in this quilt will be a different - to show off all the great material.

I got all the material pressed and the garments torn apart so the stack is ready whenever we are:

Last year during the post-Christmas sales, I bought a fat-quarter bundle of red and white Christmas prints. I'd like to have time to make it into placemats for our table this year - nothing like waiting until the last minute. So until I hear from either/both of the Wedding quilt customers, I'm going to get started on that little project.

Lava Meets Sea Quilt

Saturday, I got to hang out with a new customer - the daughter of my photographer - and her Mom to initiate a quilt for her. She had seen a quilt on one of my Pinterest boards and wants to have it made in red and navy. I'd never considered making this one - it looks really complicated - but once I read through the blog-instructions, it is just a lot of HST with only 2 colors (lots of different shades of two colors) so how bad could it be :) Daughter and Mom are picking out a couple fat-quarter bundles of Kona solids to get me started. Nice to have a new project to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment