Friday, September 27, 2013

Baker's Dozen

Back in February, I found a fabric series in purple - one of my favorite colors. I hadn't seen much quilt material that was real purple; there was lots of maroon and violet but not royal purple. So I snatched up a couple fat-quarter packs, brought them home and started looking for the perfect pattern. Of course, that same day was when the McCall's magazine arrive with the perfect pattern - Baker's Dozen. I went back to the store and bought the rest of the material I needed and put it into the stack of quilts ready to put together.

Now that the Mother's Love quilts are done and the Old Shirt one is in the hand-work stage (ready for binding), I decided to cut the material for the Baker's Dozen. Brother - there are a ton of pieces to this one and all of them are like just a quarter of an inch different - rather a lot of precision for me. But all the pieces are cut and lined up ready to sew together into a masterpiece just as soon as I get my machine back (which could be today but more likely, not until early next week).

Material picture:
 
As the title implies... there are 13 "boxes" and that's where a lot of the smaller pieces are. Here it is, laid out but there's a bit of sewing needed to make it look like anything.


Gentle Poppies

I'm always impressed by the names people come up with for quilt patterns so I seldom change that when I make the pattern. This is an exception. The pattern name is Peeking Poppies and the quilt is done in dark red, blue and black. What I selected is cream and blues which changed it into Gentle Poppies.

The material is from the Connecting Threads bargain bin but I didn't buy enough to make a very large quilt. Maybe I'll go find something to make another boarder to "grow" the quilt.  For now, the block pieces are all cut and ready to go - this one seems dead simple compared to the Baker's Dozen blocks.

Gentle Poppies material:

Blocks -  the pattern flips the block to create a great visual. Can't wait to get it together so you can see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment