Saturday, September 21, 2013

Magic Withdrawal

We just got back from Disneyland - the happiest place on earth, I totally agree by the way. The weather was warmer than we expected so we both ended up collecting a little more sun than our skin was prepared for. Not a problem, I will gain freckles and Michael will just turn brown. I love being able to just sit on a bench and watch all the people and colors and hear all the different languages. Yes, the rides are great fun but the real value of Disney for me is in regenerating my interest in humanity.

My sewing machine won't be back from the shop for another week so I'm planning to work with my stash and do a lot of cutting. I got to deliver the Mother's Love quilts while at Disneyland - the customer lives a few minutes away. It was wonderful to show off in the middle of the hotel lobby and get such gracious feedback from the owner. She asked if we do another one but was called away on business so we didn't get to go shopping while I was there but she will find material and send it to me - and we'll make another quilt. What fun!

Daring Greatly

I am always looking for a way to know myself better and recently, the book, Daring Greatly was recommended by a friend who understands this about me. the phrase comes from a speech that was made by Roosevelt back in 1910. the book is about learning how to live a Wholehearted lifestyle. Within just a couple pages, I knew this was a book I'd have to talk about and since I don't think anyone is reading this blog, I think I'll put my thoughts down here to review and remember.

In the past few years, I've become more and more aware that in back of most of my decisions and actions is a firm belief that I'm not enough - not thin enough, rich enough, smart enough, etc. the first lesson in the book is about being vulnerable - about being who you are not matter what. Because I don't feel adequate (in any way), what I present is usually what I think people want or expect of me.

It is going to take some more reading and some practice to figure out what I'm going to do with this information. I'm looking forward to lessons and I expect to see more of what I want to be as I learn how to be vulnerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment