Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Roll and Lean Trick

Once the quilting is done, the binding is sewn on. For larger quilts, it takes a bit of maneuvering to keep the quilt on the table so the binding goes on straight. I've gotten to put binding on three quilts in the last two days. There's something about doing a thing over and over in a short period of time that makes my brain come up with more efficient ways to do it.

Hence, the Roll and Lean trick. Once the binding is pinned on, I fold the quilt in half, roll it from the bottom and then put it into the sewing machine. As I'm stitching, I lean on the roll to keep the bulk of the quilt even with the sewing. By rolling, it's easy to control all that lovely material. This may not be the most elegant trick but it certainly made these three quilt bindings easier than other's I've done.

Both the Mother's Love quilts got back from the long-arm today.
 
 
 
And here's the RCA quilt that got binding yesterday. I have a lot of hand stitching to do now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment